High Ethical Standards
Our high ethical standards apply not only to our work with clients but also to our investment decisions and to the community programs we support.
Ethical Investing Is Sound Investing
Companies that are well positioned for future growth tend to be those that have in place sustainable management and financial practices. That’s one reason we take factors such as management integrity into account when in our analyses. Because of the freedom we have as an independent, employee-owned firm, we never endorse or push specific financial products aside from the core set of individual stocks and bonds that we all own.
Unique Investment Projects
Over the years, we have made a variety of investments designed to build strong local communities in New England, including these:
- Maine Farmlands is an initiative through which Lowell, Blake & Associates acts as a steward of Sunset Meadows Farm. The farm, which raises grass-fed beef through sustainable practices, now supplies beef for Maine General Hospital as part of the hospital’s focus on responsible, local sourcing for good nutrition.
- The Forest Stewardship Initiative purchased hardwood parcels in Vermont, New York, and Maine, thereby preserving the forests for generations to come while providing competitive returns to investors. Through sustainable timber management practices, this investment has allowed clients to protect wildlife, recreational land use, and local jobs.
- Real estate investment. Because of LBA’s contacts in residential and commercial real estate, we are often asked to review real estate investment proposals, and occasionally we have been pleased to participate or facilitate client investment. One project refurbished five buildings north of Boston, turning them into affordable housing for lower-income, working families.
MENTOR Charitable Fund
The MENTOR Charitable Fund, established by LBA’s founders to make a difference in the lives of individuals and families, continues to be managed by LBA today. MENTOR (which encompasses a commitment to Medicine, Education, Nature, Tolerance, Opportunity, and Responsibility) is a charity that works to:
- Enable charitable donations that have critical impact on organizations
- Create economic and social development that improves lives
- Seek out the best work being done anywhere in a targeted field
- Facilitate and encourage new approaches
Recent grants have supported foster and community-based programs for adolescents and young adults, distribution of surplus crops to families in need, and a clothing distribution center, among many other organizations and programs. Feel free to contact us for a current list of grant recipients.